Digital Marketing Professional – Acquisition, Retention, Growth
Entrepreneurial minded executive with 20 years experience in product marketing, website optimization, direct marketing, market research, testing, search engine marketing and business operations. Over 16 years in high technology including games, e-commerce, digital music, website creation and business software with advanced experience in the following channels: paid search, organic search, email, display media, affiliate marketing, website testing/analysis/optimization and continuity programs.
Hacker Group (3/13 – Current) – Director of Digital Innovation
My primary role is to support the account management team and entire agency with new integrations of direct response tactics into all digital channels with a specific focus on Mobile, Email, Social, Display, Search and Response Capture Optimization. I help the client and business development teams build direct digital solutions for customer business problems and transactional systems.
Optify (4/09 – 3/13) – Director of Digital Marketing Solutions
- Created and built professional service organization – hired and trained four employees, established engagement process, customer engagement monitoring and reporting utilizing Salesforce and internal data.
- Directly managed enterprise accounts by providing software training, internet marketing best practice guidance, project management, monthly dashboard reporting and digital marketing process improvement.
- Responsible for growing Microsoft business from two to ten accounts in two years resulting in a 3x increase in revenue, building team into four strong and creating training and process for engaging enterprise level accounts.
Domain Strategies, Inc. (10/07 – 3/09) – President, COO
Co-founded Domain Strategies with Monster Venture Partners to build a domain development business with the goal of dramatically increasing the value of premium domain names through site development, business partnerships and innovative revenue models.
- Contract negotiation with domain owners, company formations, business planning, site architecture, project management, site optimization and search engine marketing (SEO and SEM).
- Business launched include Alerts.com, Tanning.com, Wifi.com, Careers.org, Slideshow.com and Complaints.com.
Brand Digital, Inc. (12/02 – 3/09) – Founder/Chief Digital Strategist
Established Brand Digital, Inc. in 2002 to assist emerging businesses in utilizing the internet to acquire and retain customers. Channels utilized include website development, paid search, search optimization, web media, site optimization, affiliate marketing, acquisition email, in-house email, web analytics & multi-variate web testing.
- RealNetworks – Built paid search program from zero to $10 million+ annual budget across 6 product lines including Rhapsody, SuperPass, Real Broadband Essentials & RollingStone.com over 4.5 years. Utilized advanced bid management methodologies combined with relentless testing of creative, landing pages and order process to increase sign-ups by 1,000%, lower cost per acquisition by 25% and improve conversion rates by over 120%. Includes first large scale multivariate testing in Seattle with Optimost in 2004.
- Avidian Technologies – Integral part of pre-launch and management team to introduce Prophet in 2003. Created marketing plan, copy, value proposition, web site design, tracking/analytics systems and all campaigns. Assisted in expanding revenue from $0 to $4 million in sales utilizing paid/organic search, email, affiliates, public relations, case studies, web media and sales optimization..
Amazon.com (11/01 – 12/02), Senior Product Manager – CRM
Developing targeted merchandising strategies and optimizations to increase the percentage of customers shopping in non-media product lines utilizing customer data analysis, segmentation, new on-site ad units and messaging.
- Creating and testing new ad formats and messages to drive cross-selling efforts.
- Creating a targeted messaging platform for increasing cross category awareness and purchase.
- Building new customer segments based on specific, measurable lifecycle events.
- Designed a strategic framework for predicting and managing customer lifetime value.
- Lead initiative on developing the ability to offer a unique promotion to a unique customer.
Avenue A/Atlas DMT (3/00 – 5/01), Senior Product/Marketing Manager – Customer Insight Group
Responsible for the definition and marketing of a series of new business groups and technologies in a rapidly growing digital marketing agency and technology platform.
- Defined, branded and launched Consulting Group to create a revenue stream built on the unique customer behavioral data captured by ad serving technology. Resulted in the highest margin business unit.
- Concepted & launched Vital Signs – an ASP marketing portal – Avenue A’s first site side analysis product.
- Created Thought Leadership Program to capitalize on customer behavioral data and knowledge within analytics team. Utilized research program to drive market awareness via publication and seminars.
- Developed strategic marketing plan for new technology division of Avenue A called Atlas DMT.
- Created and managed first set of client summits in Seattle & New York to expand Ave A’s strategic reach.
WON.net – Sierra On-Line’s Gaming Portal & Community (9/97 – 3/00), Senior Product Manager
Created business plan, achieved buy-in from developers, hired team and launched online gaming portal which eventually rose to a top 400 website and was supported by in-house and out of house game teams.
- Developed, managed and executed $3 million marketing budget including eight direct reports.
- Managed acquisition and retention programs to drive 1 million+ unique customers per month.
- Negotiated and managed strategic partnerships with content and service providers including AOL, Sprint-Canada, IGN, Prima, Activision, and Oxygen Media from idea to contract to execution.
- Developed the WON.net Brand by overseeing logo and identity creation, defining mission statement and brand goals, communicating the brand and re-enforcing brand values.
- Sold WON.net concept to internal developers, external publishing groups, partners and upper management to gain additional funding and content such as Prima, Gamespot and Imagine Media.
- Developed and Implemented major marketing and promotion programs such sweepstakes, tournaments, contests, print advertising, retail co-marketing and digital advertising.
Sierra On-Line (1/96 – 8/97), Assistant to the Chairman/Sub-Commander of Marketing
Worked directly for the CEO/company founder and VP of Marketing to assist in a wide range of partnership, developer relations, financial, product management and market research projects.
- Designed and programmed project tracking database to keep key financial, development and marketing information on all projects in development company wide. Included P&L modeling.
- Product Manager for non-traditional brands such as Screamin’ 3D Video Board and Software Companion for PalmPilot. Developed marketing plans and strategy documents, educated sales force, created packaging and collateral pieces, directed PR efforts and advertising strategy.
- Created Market Information Group to centralize and improve market research and sales analysis.
- Directed 1997 budget process for 13+ million dollar marketing budget and nine product groups.
Rabanco Recycling (9/91 – 12/95), General Manager – Finance & Information/Process Analyst
Integral part of management team that turned around the largest Material Reclamation Facility in the Northwest. We transformed a facility losing $3 million/year to generating positive net revenue of $5 million/year.
- Reduced per ton operating costs through cross-training, use of flexible labor and reduction of high repair costs on both physical plant and rolling stock. Implemented bonus program for division managers.
- Assisted in negotiating new recycling contracts with city, county and state agencies.
- Created Return to Work programs for injured employees. Resulted in $600,000 annual savings company wide.
- Masters in Business Administration (Finance, International Business) – University of Washington, June 1991
- Bachelor of Arts (History, Economics) – Trinity University, December 1987
- Exchange Programs in Vienna, Austria (1986) and Copenhagen, Denmark (1990)
Certifications and Training:
- Pragmatic Marketing Certification (2000)
- Google AdWords Certified Professional (2006)
- Marketing Experiments Certification in Online Testing (2007)
- Widemile Testing Platform (2009)
- Fierce Leadership Conversation Models (2011)